Monday, August 13, 2007

Christmas Tradition



August 13, 2007


Much about “tradition” I was taught by my mom, as most girls are. You learn how to clean, cook, and carry out everyday chores, but on those special occasions and holiday’s is when you truly pickup part of your family legacy and are taught what it is and how to carry it on.

I used to get so annoyed when I would help my mom decorate the Christmas tree and she would tell me “No wait, don’t put that there. It’s too close to another ornament almost just like it”… My thoughts were “So what?” but I learned (just a short time ago) that those things are part of what make us who we are. The way we do things, and why we do them. I see now she was exactly right. It was done for a reason, and oh how beautiful it was, when the ornaments were spread out and not grouped together. J And now I look back on that and realize how special it was, helping her decorate. Many times she took over and I mainly sat and watched and handed her ornaments, but I was helping all the same. This is my first year married, and I’ve got my own house to decorate and begin traditions in, but I still love helping her with that kind of stuff.

Another Christmas tradition I learned too has been, “Traditional” food such as Turkey and Dressing is wonderful, but you too can change things up and still have a perfectly “traditional” Christmas. It’s the loved ones you’re with that makes the difference. We had a “Mexican Food” Christmas a few years ago, and I absolutely loved it! We had already had so much turkey and dressing for the season, everyone was burnt out on it. Nobody knew the difference in Tradition when we ate something different than usual. They loved it.

Something I’ve decided to do for this book is, I am going to talk to different family members, the kids and our parents and different ones, and see if I can get them to write down a story about their favorite childhood Christmas/Memories and/or traditions in their home when they were growing up. I want so badly to carry these things on and have them so everyone will remember or know. It is such a wonderful time of year, and the more we learn from the past, the more we can prepare for and enjoy the future.


Always,

No comments: