Friday, August 22, 2008

Keep Those Traditions Alive!



August 22, 2008


It has been a busy week here! Ryan started a new job, we’ve been cleaning out Christmas decorations and putting them in tubs, and had everyday life going on along with that! But it’s been a good week. I got a chance to look thru a lot of my stuff and get it more organized.

I spent most of my night tonight scanning in old photos of Michael, Jody, and I when we were kids. Most of Tiffani’s were already digital, except for some when she was a baby. It was so neat to look thru all of them. Especially our Christmas pictures. We had such wonderful Christmas’ as kids. Did I say “had”? We STILL have wonderful Christmas’ around here. I am going to try and do a scrapbook album with old Christmas pictures. I wish I could get some old Christmas pictures of my parents when they were kids as well. I might be able to get some of dad, but probably not any of mom.

I have been thinking a lot about Christmas Traditions this week and our traditions we had when I was a child. It was amazing to me how we could put Deer Corn on our roof, and mysteriously it was gone on Christmas morning, along with a bell dropped in the front yard, surely off of Santa’s suit or a Reindeer Harness.

There is a great book that discusses Christmas traditions, and shares various traditions. Its called “Oh, What Fun!” and is by Hallmark books. It is one of the best, most enjoyable Christmas books I have on my shelf!

Mom and I were talking today about the “Elf On The Shelf” tradition (I’ll post a little about it below so you’ll know what I am talking about)…. And mom was telling me once again about this little elf she got in the 3rd grade that was much like the elf from Elf On The Shelf. It’s amazing now all these years later she still cherishes the memory of that elf. I hope our kids enjoy their Elf that much when we have them. : )

Taken from http://www.elfontheshelf.com/

“This charming tradition began for our family when my children were very small. Plagued by their desire to know how Santa really knew who had been naughty or nice, I searched through the Christmas decorations for a plausible explanation. Nestled among them was the answer; a small elf doll from my own childhood. With that discovery, the idea for the elf tradition was born.At our home the elf would arrive around the holidays, usually at Thanksgiving. His sole responsibility was to watch my children's behavior and report it to "Santa" each night. The next morning after the children awoke, they discovered the elf had returned from the "North Pole" (with some parental assistance) and was hiding in a different place. My children would race each other out of bed to try and be the first to spy him in his new position.Over the years the tradition was perfected and rules were even introduced. For example, to better preserve his mystique the children were not allowed to touch him; however, they were allowed to talk to him. For obvious reasons, he was not allowed to reply. Eventually, my children even gave him a name - officially adopting him into the family.Unwittingly, the tradition provided an added benefit: it helped the children to better control themselves. All it took was a gentle reminder that the "elf was watching" for errant behavior to be modified.I never dreamed this simple tradition would lead to so many Christmas memories for our entire family. It is my earnest desire that The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition will bring as much joy to your family as it has to mine.”


Whether it be Elf On The Shelf, an Advent Calendar, or just reading a Christmas story at night before bed, make your traditions, stick with them, and one day your entire family will cherish them more than you can ever imagine!


Keeping the Christmas Spirit Alive,



1 comment: