
October 12, 2008
I had an idea this weekend, and I got a lot of work done on it, in between Jody's boys being down for a visit. I was thinking about the things I need to do when I get back on my feet totally from my surgery, and making sure I have all my Christmas books out when I start decorating, is one thing I was thinking about.
See, I collect Christmas books. And, I've always been a book worm. So I got to thinking, what would be more fun, than to have a designated Christmas "Library" during the holiday season for Tiffani or any of the other kids to want to read from, and when we have kids, they can have their very own "Reindeer Readers Library" to read from (Or have mommy and daddy read to them from) during November and December?
Once I had the idea more concrete in my head, I got to work and made up a "Library Card", just for fun and novelty, using Tiffani as member number one. Then, I looked around online and found some neat white Shabby Chic bookcases. I found one I like, but I'm not going to purchase it just yet. I also found a great collection of Christmas books (72 in GREAT SHAPE!) for $59.00 on eBay. It was a great deal!
Here is my rough-draft plan (Please feel free to implement this into your holiday's as well if you like this idea! I can also send the blank I used for my Library cards if you'd like it, just email me @ hethslaton@hotmail.com :) )
1. Put Up Bookshelf Strictly for Christmas/Winter Books
2. Organize Books on Shelf by Age (Younger age books on the bottom, easier for little hands to get to. Keepsake and treasury books, up higher.)
3. Make Christmas Bookmarks (I've got some your welcome to use, attached below) and put in a container on the bookshelf, to keep your spot!
4. Decorate the top of the bookshelf with a "reading" theme Christmas tree. There are multiple ornaments out there depicting Santa reading (usually he's reading his Christmas list, but it still works!). For those of you doing Letters To Santa trees, you could incorporate something similar to this as well. The bookshelf should be very festive, and grab children's attention. After all, this is one "fancy Christmas decoration" that they can openly "touch" and is for their enjoyment.
My overall thoughts were, it would be fun, give me a place to put my books I've been collecting the last several years, and hey, it would be educational as well. Many of the books are based on fact, and teach reading skills, giving, life lessons, etc.
Christmas is Coming!!!













4 comments:
I think this is a wonderful idea. I just might do the same although I have no Grandkids yet it would be a great idea to have my Christmas books in one place. I do now have most of them in a special place but it would be nice to have them where I do crafting and within easy reach. Thanks for the inspiration. Cat=^..^= from Merry Makers.
Heth!
I have pulled out all my Christmas Books every year at Christmas and just had them out. I love this about making a little library corner and making something special out of it.
Thanks for the great idea!
Paula
Each Christmas season we get out our Christmas basket of Christmas books. We read a book together as a family every night in December.
Great idea!!
I pull out my Christmas book collection every year and then every night during the month of December (sometimes beyond) we pick a book or two and read them as our bedtime stories. I don't have a designated spot for them usually beside or under the tree.
Post a Comment