Sunday, September 14, 2008

Christmas Mums


September 14, 2008
This weekend while we were working on ornaments and crafts for the "Heth's Angels" tree, I worked on an idea I had for "Christmas Mum" ornaments. They go along the same idea or theme as Homecoming mums, only much smaller. This tree was going to be "cute and crafty" which is why I did the mums. I wanted to add a lot of ribbon to the tree without having to use the same ribbon and doing it the same way I always do, wrapped around the tree. Above is a picture of one of the mums. It needs a few tweaks, but I was pleased with the product so far. If you'd like to do your own, I have put instructions below.
Materials:
  • 1 Wooden Stocking from Hobby Lobby (You can use snowflakes, snowmen, whatever you like. I wanted stockings in my case). Mine was also pre-decorated so I didn't have to worry with painting one.
  • Ribbon in Christmas themes or colors (non-wired). I got most of mine in the scrapbooking section.
  • Christmas Buttons and embellishments from scrapbook and craft departments (Mine are by "Dress Me Up". I believe that was the name)
  • "Ho Ho Ho" Miniature Cow Bells
  • Paint Pen or Gold/Silver Sharpie to write names on stocking.
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
  • Scissors

To assemble:

Take stocking and write the childs name on it with your paint pen. Before starting your project, take each of your ribbons and cut them in approx. 1 ft. strands. I wanted my mums pretty full, so I used several different styles and colors.

Hot glue each strand to the back of your stocking one at a time, spreading them out just a bit so they create somewhat of a "Fan" effect when you turn the mum over.

Once you glue the ribbons on and have them in place, turn the mum over and take your embellishments and hot glue them one at a time then attach to the ribbon. I used 4 embellishments on most of my stockings, but you can do more or less depending on your budget and look you want.

These are also small enough that they can be attached to a gift bag to give it a crafty flare, and make a keepsake for the kids as well.








Keeping Christmas In My Heart,








No comments: